Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Reading is Fun... Sometimes!

It is a whole new perspective realizing you are finally learning things in school that are going to be used almost every day in life. Learning about reading while reading is very ironic and fun to take away components that I could see myself using to teach my students. From a student perspective I can agree with the points made. I hated reading and at times I still moan and groan when my professors ask me to read and respond to an article. I think it is important to understand that students of all ages want to have fun reading but struggle with the content and understanding what they are reading. Students need to use the 'keys' to see a story be told instead of just words on a page. By doing this they will feel more connected to what they are reading which in turn makes them more interested in it. As a future teacher, it was very resourceful for me to read about how to teach students to read as Social Studies is one of my content areas and there is always reading whether it is primary sources or secondary sources used to tell the story of the past. Reading can be hard no matter if you read every day or not. Going about it is what will help my students succeed.
Understanding the steps is important and vital to get down on their level. I understand that they are starting out on different levels and as future teachers, we need to understand that reading is a complex process, but vital and needs to be learned the right way.

Subjects Matter Chapter 2
Word Count: 271

No comments:

Post a Comment